IRB – University of Pennsylvania
All studies run in the Behavioral Lab require IRB approval. The IRB protocol number must be submitted with the study.
1. To apply for an IRB protocol go to: IRB Application
2. Click on the How to Submit tab at the top of the page
3. The Initial Review page is displayed
- Information about completing the application is provided
- Once Information is reviewed, go to the Application (as described in the following steps)
4. Drop down the page to Step 1 – Submitting to IRB
- Click on HSERA bullet
- Find link to application and instructions on how to proceed
- Authenticate your PennKey and password
- HSERA Home Page displaysProvides the Electronic application
- Provides status of your submissions
- Provides history of your submissions
Go to “Create” found in the left column
Go to “Initial Review”
If you need help completing the application – contact Susan McCafferty
IRB training is found at Knowledge Link.
- Login using PennKey
- Search for ‘CITI Protection of Human Subjects Training – ORA’
- This online training is required for the submission of an IRB. At minimum, the training must have started before beginning the IRB application process.
Questions concerning Human Subject Research and IRB are directed to:
- Dave Heagerty 215.573.0792
Watch “A Discussion with IRB Associate Director David Heagerty” on IRB Guidelines and Protocols.
Sample Consent Form
Title of Research Study:
IRB Protocol Number: XXXXXX
The purpose of this study is to xxxxxxxxxxxxxx. This study is being conducted by xxxxx and xxxxxxx at the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) and will be conducted online.
You must be 18 years or older to participate in this study.
If you agree to be in this study, you will be asked to do the following:
- Provide brief summary of what the participant will be doing for the study, e.g. completing a questionnaire on-line, etc.
Participation in this study will involve a total of XX minutes of your time.
- There are no known risks associated with your participation in this research beyond those of everyday life.
- This study is part of the Behavioral Lab’s regular sessions, and you will be compensated for your time according to their procedures.
- Participation in this research is voluntary. You will not receive any direct benefits from the study.
- If you have additional questions or wish to report a research-related problem, you may contact the primary investigator, xxxxxxx, via email at xxxxxxxxxxx.
- If you have questions about your rights and welfare as a volunteer in the research study, please contact the Office of Regulatory Affairs at the University of Pennsylvania at 215-898-2614.
- Confidentiality of your research records will be strictly maintained by ensuring all data is kept secure, and only the primary investigator and the research team will have access to this data. This means that nobody else will have access to your data at any point during or after the study.
By proceeding, you are agreeing to take part in this research study. If you have any questions or there is something you do not understand, please ask.
Sample Recruitment Email
Dear lab participant,
A new session has just been posted. If you are interested in participating, please sign up on our website http://bhlab.wharton.upenn.edu.
To unsubscribe from these emails, you can go to your profile and select “no” in the option that says “I wish to receive emails about open sessions.”
- You must be at least 18 years old to participate
- You must provide your Driver’s License OR
- You must provide your Penncard for studies that are for Penn affiliated members OR
- You must provide your current Student ID for studies restricted to students
- You must be computer proficient and fluent in English
- You must provide us with your SSN in order to get paid
- You must have access to a stable internet connection (Web Experiments)
- You must complete the study during the allotted time window (Web Experiments)
- You must complete the entire study to receive full payment
For in-lab studies, compensation is only $5 for those participants who leave early or decline to participate in some studies.
For online web experiments, payment will be sent to your email in the form of an Amazon Gift Card within 48 hours of completion.
The WBL Team
Connect with Us
Wharton Behavioral Lab
Steinberg Hall – Dietrich Hall
3620 Locust Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19104